Saturday, July 09, 2005

To Be...




"Never looking back, or too far in front of me, the present is a gift, and I just wanna BE."

This is the last line of "Be", a track by Common, produced by Kanye West.

Been reflecting on it for several days now...

What does it mean to "just be"?...

A friend of mine, associated it with that popular saying that says, "Let go, and Let God..."

That sentiment is beautifully put in Psalm 46:10 :

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

The idea is, God is in control...

It also speaks of freedom...

If I can just be, then "I am what I am before God; nothing less, nothing more"...

It's who I am, when I am stripped of all pretension, all positions, titles, awards, and possessions...

It's who I am, when I am no longer bound by the chains of greed, envy, lust, pride, fear and anxiety...

It's coming as I am before God... with a full awareness of my unworthiness, yet throwing myself with abandon at His feet... counting on His mercy...

Kinda like newborn birds who can't see, and have never seen their mother... their only way of survival, instinctively, as if "by faith", is simply trusting that she will be there...






Childlike trust; simplicity; freedom...



"In that hour came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

And he called to him a little child, and set him in the midst of them,

and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye turn, and become as little children, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

(Matthew 18)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey brother Marv....nice blogg hope that you keep on truckin for long time still......lol

Anonymous said...

"It's who I am, when I am no longer bound by the chains of greed, envy, lust, pride, fear and anxiety..."

Coming to the realization of our unworthiness before God is when we are truly broken before him. We are stripped of our worries, sins, anxieties and burdens and come before Him completely bare.

We can only truly experience this when we are in complete solitude; away from the distractions of life... simply alone with God. It is in this solitude that we find our identity, as one who is loved by God.
As Brennan Manning puts it:

Silence is not simply the absence of noise or the shutdown of communication with the outside world, but rather a process of coming to stillness. Solitude means being alone with the Alone, experiencing the transcendant Other and growing in awareness of one's identity as the beloved. When Infinity speaks, when God Almighty shares through His Son the depth of His feelings for me, when His love flashes into my soul it is kairos- the decisive inbreak of God in this saving moment. It is impossible to know another person intimately without spending time together. Silence makes this solitude a reality. It has been said, "Silence is solitude practiced in action."